Language courses in Slovenia
How can I learn Slovene language?
Children & youth
Primary school in Slovenia is obligatory and children will learn Slovene language there. Schools are obliged to organise additional Slovene classes and learning assistance for refugee children and children with insufficient knowledge of the language.
Preparatory language classes should also be organized by the Ministry of Education, science and sport. Practices vary and depend on each school. For more information about school system, see chapter Education.
Young people from the age of 16 who do not attend primary school have the same rights as adults (see below).
If you are an asylum seeker, there are regular courses of Slovenian language in the asylum centre. The courses takes place 3 to 5 times a week.
Persons under international protection
If you came through resettlement or relocation programs and you were granted international protection, you will first attend 3-month long preparatory-orientation programme (Orientacijski program) funded by the state, where you will learn basic Slovene language to ease the communication in the new environment and to help you get around. The programme takes place in Ljubljana and Maribor.
If you are granted international protection, you have the right to a 300-hour language course funded by the state. The course consists of two parts: a 180-hour initial course and a 120-hour additional course. There, you will learn to speak and write as well as read and improve other skills in Slovene language.
The course also introduces Slovene culture, history and system. The program includes themes from private and public life (home, school, workplace, various public institutions, etc.). Read more: https://infotujci.si/en/integration-into-slovenian-society/free-slovenian-language-courses/
If you do not attend the second part of the courses, you may lose the financial help for the accommodation.
The conditions change frequently. You will receive more information about the courses and your rights and obligations from your Integration counsellor.
You can also find some free Slovene classes for foreigners through Administrative Unit (Upravna enota) and Employment Service (Zavod za zaposlovanje). For applying, you have to meet certain criteria.
Courses of Slovene language and culture for foreigners are organized at the Centre for Slovene as a Second and Foreign Language (http://centerslo.si/en/courses-for-adults/courses/). They carry out different courses and examinations of Slovene for non-native speakers.
Many language schools offer Slovene courses for foreigners, but you have to pay for those courses.
- Cene Štupar: https://www.cene-stupar.si/sl/jezikovna-sola/tecaj-slovenscine/tecaj-slovenscine/slovene-language-courses
- Mint: https://www.mint.si/jezikovni-tecaji/slovenscina/
- Lingula: https://www.lingula.si/slovenscina/for-foreigners/
- Horizont: https://www.instrukcijehorizont.si/tecaji/jezikovni-tecaj-slovenscine-za-tujce/
There are also some organisations that help migrants learn the language with the help of volunteers. These are not professional teachers, but they offer teaching free of charge. One of these organisations is Slovene Philanthropy (http://www.filantropija.org/en). You will not receive any certificate if you complete such a course, even if the volunteer is a professional language teacher.
Can I learn Slovene by myself?
There are some online learning tools for learning Slovene (see links below). As part of the WELCOMM program, we offer you an online course for learning Slovene. The course will help you learn some basics in order to communicate in the most commonly occurring circumstances (e.g. presenting yourself, asking for help, directions etc.)
You can find many books for learning Slovene in bookstores and libraries. Slovenščina ekspres is a textbook for beginners (http://centerslo.si/en/books/textbooks-and-handbooks/beginner-level/slovenscina-ekspres-1/).
Further information & links
- Information for foreigners of various status: http://infotujci.si/
- Centre for Slovene as a Second and Foreign Language (http://centerslo.si/en/courses-for-adults/courses/)
- Slovene Philanthropy: http://www.filantropija.org/en
- Application for learning Slovene Znam: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.znam&hl=sl
- Language support for adult refugees: a Council of Europe toolkit: coe.int/lang-refugees
- Slovene Learning Online (SLO): slonline.si
- How to be a Slovene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUkkW7cauPE&index=1&list=PLHHZ9vBEFJ2XYso4Lf2KLzqufj2WCCYHr. J
- http://ilanguages.org/slovene.php (simple lessons without registration)
- http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/EN/ENSL/ENSL002.HTM (simple lessons without registration)
- http://learnslovenianonline.com/ (courses with a teacher online)